Re: 757-300?

From:         weiss@watson.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss)
Date:         02 Apr 93 05:36:17 PST

In article <airliners.1993.291@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>Interesting observation.  The 737-300 has certainly replaced a lot of
>727-100s.  I'm not sure how well the 737 has fared in replacing the
>727-200 though.

Sadly enough, in many respects, the MD-80 has been replacing the 727-200s.  It
is also worth noting that the airline industry has changed since the
707/727/737 set were introduced.  The introduction of deregulation allowed
airlines to become more responsive to the market, and to introduce the hub and
spoke system.  Consequently, there became a need for different classes of
aircraft:

1) Puddle jumpers, to go from the tiny airports to the nearest major airport.
2) Small, short haul aircraft, to handle SouthWest type airlines.  The older
   DC-9s and all 737s fit this category.
3) Mid-size, medium- to long-haul aircraft.  These are the major hub feeders,
   and since some hubs are far from centrally located, they need to be able to
   go the better part of cross-country.  The 757 and MD-80 cover this class.
4) Large, long-haul aircraft.  These run among major cities and hubs, and
   cover international flights.  The widebodies fit here.

Initially, the 707 was more of the 4th class aircraft.  Today, an airplane of
the 707's size has moved to the 3rd class, where the 727 used to sit.  It is
far more cost-effective today to have a 757 make the run if the flight is
heavily traveled, and use an MD-80 if it is less traveled.

>>I think the 737 has replaced more 727's than the 757, and I don't
>>really think that was Boeing's envision when they lauched the 757.

Only on routes where the MD-80 is overkill either on distance or on passenger
capacity.
--
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -