Re: Bayerische Motoren Werke

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         31 Mar 93 01:14:50 PST

In article <airliners.1993.279@ohare.Chicago.COM> Quagga <ditka!sgiblab!Think.COM!trystro!quagga> writes:
>Say there. Some years ago I had a vivid dream of taking an airliner trip over
>lovely puffy clouds over Monument Valley... looking back, I noticed a big 'ol
>BMW logo on the engine. Some months later BMW and Rolls-Royce announced they
>were going to produce aircraft engines... Anything ever come of this?

Yes, the BR700 family of engine designs.  The core is currently under
construction, has been for about a year now I think.  The 737-X is looking
at the BR720 (25,000+ SLST).  I have personal doubts that anything will
come of it.  The family seems to be aimed at the new crop of small (<100
seats) regional jetliners.

Perhaps Fokker will offer a BR700 on their stretch of the F 100 (the F
130).

The other paper engine is the RTF180.  A Pratt and MTU (?) partnership I
think.  I'd guess it will never see the light of day.  The German's don't
have the cash to support two engine development programs, particularly
given their precarious economic condition.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com