Re: Shortened Boeings (was: The Sporty Game -- Boeing 757)

From:         spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         30 Mar 93 10:04:57 PST

Geoff Miller wrote:
> A small nit here.  The first shrunken Boeings -- in terms
> of physical size if not intended range -- were the special
> short-body 707-120s built for QANTAS.  They were actually
> shorter than the the 720.  These were the airplanes I mentioned
> awhile back which had provision for carrying a fifth engine as
> external freight, under the left wing between #2 and the fuselage.
> I've only seen one photograph of a QANTAS 707 actually carrying
> an engine this way, oddly enough, and unfortunately I don't
> remember where I saw it

Just as a bit of trivia, both the DC-10 and the L-1011 have the
capability of carrying an additional engine on a pod (inboard of the
main engines), and the DC-8 also had it.  I'm not sure that this
capability was limited to Qantas' 707s, either; I suspect it was
potentially available to any 707.  This is not a capability that has
seen widespread use, however.  Can anyone fill in any details?

--
-
Stefano Pagiola