Re: 757-300?

From:         spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         25 Mar 93 00:08:02 PST

Karl Swartz writes
> >a 757 is still a narrow body, and a narrow body configuration for
> >long haul operations will simply irritate airline passengers!
>

> The 757 already operates some pretty long routes, including trans-
> Atlantic charters and U.S. to Hawaii.  In choosing to operate the
> 757 on the latter routes, United noted that most of the traffic
> would be vacation travellers who were more interested in low
> fares than in comfort -- United's DC-8s served well on these
> routes until quite recently.

Yes, the 757 has some pretty long routes, and few people are happy
about that.  The latest issue of Frequent Flyer (the magazine that
comes with the pocket OAG) had a long article complaining about the
use of 757s on long routes.
757s might work on routes like mainland-Hawaii where, as you note,
people place price over comfort, but I suspect that on most routes
widebodies would have a competitive edge.

Ciao, Stefano
---
Stefano Pagiola
Food Research Institute, Stanford University
spagiola@frinext.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)
spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)