Re: Aha! The three-man 767 rears its ugly head...

From:         thumper@engin.umich.edu (Bob Topping)
Date:         07 Jan 93 13:17:51 PST

>AvLeak didn't say, but it didn't sound like there were any plans to
>prototype it; the first two airframes would presumably be used as
>"deliverable prototypes" much as the 747-400 test planes were.  The planes
>will be pretty much stock, sent to Wichita for strengthening of the rear
>fuselage and other modifications, then returned to Seattle for the
>electronics.  Of course, this all assumes that the procurement passes the
>Japanese Diet.
>
>(I don't remember which of the N books about Boeing I read this in, but
>during testing of the 767's wing strength, they never found out how strong
>it really was; at 117% (or so, don't remember the exact number) of rated
>strength, the fuselage gave way.  I'll try to find where I read it.)

  I think it may have been in _Legend & Legacy: The Story of Boeing and
Its People_.  It the most recent Boeing book I've read, and I remember
that story fairly well.  Even if its not, its still an excellent book to
read.  Take it along on your next flight! :)

  Just found the reference:  Pg. 391, _L&L_

  	  The 767 emerged from a tremendous amount of wind tunnel
	work; it was what [Dean] Thornton called a "clean paper"
	airplane--everything started from scratch.  One of the de-
	sign's chief virtues was the potential growth built into
	the airplane; the wing, huge for the plane's overall size,
	was structurally so powerful that the static destruction
	test failed to break it.  The wing went far beyond the 100
	percent of design load limit, and it was not the wing that
	failed but the aft fuselage near the area of a rear cargo
	door.
	  "We extrapolated from that test all the data we needed to
	assure us the airplane had tremendous growth potential,"
	Ben Cosgrove remembered.  "We never did find out how much
	it would take to break the wing--the static test ended when
	the rear fuselage broke, and we decided to use the wing for
	other test purposes."

--
@ "Our lives are better left to chance;  ****      PLEASE!  E-Mail to:       @
@   I could have missed the pain, but    ****  bob.topping@um.cc.umich.edu   @