727 deep stall (Re: tip vortices *do* exist!)

From:         greg@saltydog.dpsi.com (Gregory R. Travis)
Date:         23 Mar 93 11:02:31 PST

In <airliners.1993.255@ohare.Chicago.COM> jonathan@hermes.chpc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Thornburg) writes:

>On this same trip, coming in to Salt Lake City over
>the Wasatch mountains, I could clearly see the spoilers being deployed
>several times, *without* their being any perceptable roll.  I believe
>the Salt Lake City approach path is somewhat notorious for requiring
>rapid altitude loss.  (Indeed, one of the early B-727 deep stall crashes
>was on such an approach, I think.)

Do you have a reference for this crash (how about Robert or Karl?)?

I wasn't aware that any 727s had been lost to deep stall.  I was actually
under the impression that 727s were somewhat immune to deep stall and that
the designers had spent considerable effort getting this T-tail bugaboo
out.  I've seen several videos of 727s in stall testing - seemed pretty
straight-forward.

I do know that BAC 1-11s have a history of deep stall problems - in fact
one was lost to a deep stall during testing.  However, I was also under
the impression that the 1-11's stall problems had been fixed (via a
placard?  do not stall!  I dunno).

greg
--
Gregory Reed Travis				D  P  S  I