Re: Airbus "family ratings" ? (incl. Robert's reply)

From:         spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         23 Mar 93 00:24:50 PST

> > Airbus refers to the 2-crew A300 cockpit as FFCC - Forward-Facing
> > Crew Cockpit; I always found this to be very funny.
>

> I agree it sounds funny. Could it be a euphemistic way of
> referring to the  lack of a flight engineer (who would not
> normally need to face forward)?  Remember that 2-man
> crews were a very sensitive issue around that time.

Yes, that's exactly where the name comes from: no flight engineer sitting
sideways.

On the subject of F/Es: does anyone know if Air Inter's unions got their way and
forced the airline to have an F/E in the A320?  I think they didn't, but at one
time it looked like they would.  Can anyone confirm one way or another?

Ciao, Stefano
---
Stefano Pagiola
Food Research Institute, Stanford University
spagiola@frinext.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)
spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)