re: 747-400F

From:         jacobs@charly.taclog.af.mil (SSgt Scott Jacobson;93D APS/TROS;981-7441)
Date:         19 Mar 93 00:07:38 PST

jacobs@charly.taclog.af.mil (SSgt Scott Jacobson;93D APS/TROS;981-7441) writes:
>The 747-400F doesn't have the stretched upper deck due to the
>fact that the floor of the upper deck reduces the clear ceiling
>height available on the main deck, hence the available cargo
>volume is LESS than the unstretched version.

GREG >Not to be picky but in the -400F we don't put a floor in the upper
GREG >deck.  This lets us put in oversized cargo there and reduces the
GREG >overall empty weight of the airframe.

If there is no floor in the upper deck then what are the pilots seats
bolted to? <grin!>

I think what you mean to say is that the upper deck floor in the -400F
is not as long as in the passenger model. Since the cockpit floor still
intrudes into the main cabin area operators are limited, height-wise,
as to what can be loaded thru the nose. Solution? Cut a full height
cargo door into the aft fuselage - which is exactly what Boeing did.

BTW: What are the structural implications of removing a portion
of the upper deck floor?

Scott