Re: Airliners landing in water

From:         mperlman@nyx.cs.du.edu (Marshal "Airborne" Perlman)
Date:         18 Mar 93 09:59:52 PST

>Can large airliners safely land in water in case of an emergency?
>If so, will they float? Have there been cases?

Well... let me tell you something that happened to me.

A few years ago, I was going from California back east to see a friend... and
the Eastern Pilots were nice enough to let me in the jump seat for a while, and
while I was up there, the pilot produced a glossy information card with
"Emergency Procedures" on it (just like the passengers get in the back of their
seats)... anyhow, the pilot said to the co-pilot, "We got new cards, did you see
them???" and the co-pilot started laughing very loudly, and I asked him what was
so funny... and he told me (while pointing to a very well drawn picture of an
aircraft floating on water), "Like this thing would float!?"

Sorta funny... eh?
--
  |o| Marshal Perlman                       Internet: perlman@cs.fit.edu |o|
  |o| Florida Institute of Technology                        IRC: Squawk |o|