Re: Airliners landing in water

From:         drchambe@tekig5.pen.tek.com (Dennis Chamberlin)
Date:         17 Mar 93 23:14:45 PST

In article <airliners.1993.242@ohare.Chicago.COM> jb3051@csc.albany.edu writes:
>Can large airliners safely land in water in case of an emergency?

It's not at all safe, but it has been done.

>If so, will they float? Have there been cases?

Not for long. The only case I am aware of where an airliner full of
pax was ditched (controlled touchdown on the water) was a Boeing
Stratocruiser in the North Pacific, perhaps in the early 50's.

Partly due to excellent navigation and communications, a brilliant
rescue was completed, I believe without the loss of a single life.

I believe it lost an engine (as in "came off") and the remaining
three could not overcome the drag. According to Gann's "Flying Circus",
the state-of-the-art four-bladed props turned by the R-4360's turned
out to be actually a touch beyond the state of the art. When they
came apart, they took the entire engine with them.