Re: First Flights on airliners

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         06 Jan 93 15:01:21 PST

In article <airliners.1993.18@ohare.Chicago.COM> gunter@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Gunter Ahrendt) writes:
>driscoll@src.honeywell.com (Kevin Driscoll) writes:

>>This episode was titled "Mass Transit in the Sky".  It started by saying
>>that just after commercial jet transport's infancy (707), the Europeans
>>went for speed with the SST and the US went for size (principally the
>>747); and then the Europeans had to play catch up after making this mistake.

>Huh? The SST was a US project, and the Europeans started the Jet Race, it's the
>US that played catch-up, If Boeing would have been first they would have had
>the joy of discovering Metal fatigue and then De Havilland would have cleaned
>up the world marker...alas it was vice versa.

At the time I believe SST was a generic term for a super-sonic
transport.  Obviously the episode is referring to Concorde.

As for the rest, I suspect most would agree that the 707 marked the
real beginning of the jet transport's "infancy;" de Havilland's Comet
was most assuredly a significant contributor but even before the metal
fatigue problems came up was really more an "embryonic" stage, if you
want to stick with the wording.  Range and capacity limits kept it
from really igniting the jet transport market.

It's interesting to speculate what would have happened had Boeing gone
first.  Given the round windows of the Stratoliner Boeing might never
have run into the fatigue problem.  If they had, I suspect Douglas
would have been in a far better position than de Havilland to jump in
and clean up, assuming they hadn't jumped *too* quickly.  Perhaps
Lockheed as well, had they not spent their momentum from the Connie on
a turboprop.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls