Re: 747-400F

From:         jacobs@charly.taclog.af.mil (SSgt Scott Jacobson;93D APS/TROS;981-7441)
Date:         04 Mar 93 01:53:29 PST

The 747-400F doesn't have the stretched upper deck due to the
fact that the floor of the upper deck reduces the clear ceiling
height available on the main deck, hence the available cargo
volume is LESS than the unstretched version.

I know it sounds backwards, but a 747-400F with a Stretched upper
deck has LESS available cargo volume than a -400F without it...

Since no cargo is carried on the upper deck stretching it just adds
dead weight. There might be aerodynamic advantages to the stretch
but I'll bet there outweighed by the extra weight.

Scott