Re: Airliner Routes and 767s

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         03 Mar 93 01:16:28 PST

In article <airliners.1993.198@ohare.Chicago.COM> Tony Heatwole <HEATWOLE@LANDO.HNS.COM> writes:
>Last week I flew from Delhi, India to Frankfurt, Germany on
>a Delta 767-332 (ER), N178DN.  I picked up a few interesting
>tidbits from the first officer on airplane routings and 767s
>in particular ...

>    4.  Since this was a 767, I asked the first officer about
>        the plausibility of United pilots' rumored concern
>        (discussed previously in this group) about crossing the
>        Himalayas in a 767 ...

Just last week I was on a United 767-222 on a much less glamorous
routing -- San Francisco to Los Angeles.  As it happened, I was seated
next to a United 757/767 captain who was commuting to work out of LAX,
and I asked him about this as well.  He's only been on the 757/767 for
a short time so wasn't directly involved at the time of the dispute
but his answer was the first plausible one I've heard.

The key points are that all of United's 757/767 flight crews are based
in the U.S., and that United does not operate the type in the trans-
Pacific markets.  Thus, the crews operating the segment between Delhi
and Hong Kong would be based in New York or perhaps Washington!  The
idea was to fly JFK-LHR-DEL-HKG and back, with one day layover at each
stop.  This sounds like a rather hellish schedule, and apparently the
pilots thought so too.

The pilots suggested a TDY (temporary domicile) in Paris or London,
with these pilots flying the LHR-DEL-HKG route, just as temporarily
London-based pilots operate United's European 727 operations.  Most
likely, United saw the rising tide of red ink and saw the pilots as
a scapegoat for cancelling the round-the-world service.

I also asked about the Washington to Johannesburg service, which was
to have operated with 767s via Cape Verde.  United received authority
to operate this route, which would have been their first service to
Africa, early this year, but dropped the plans and the route authority
was subsequently taken over by New York-based USAfrica Airways.  The
reason given by United was that they expected the same labor problems
as with the round-the-world service, though the problem wouldn't seem
to be as severe and perhaps this was nothing more than more cost-
cutting, with the pilots again as scapegoats.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls