A Question about Tours of the Boeing plant

From:         Stephen L Nicoud <stephen.nicoud@boeing.com>
Date:         25 Feb 93 06:13:25 PST

   >|> I'm going to be in Seattle in March and will have a Saturday free.
   >|> I was wondering, does the huge Boeing plant give tours to the general
   >|> public?

The tour center will be closed in the afternoon on Monday March 1.
There will be morning tours, but no afternoon tours on Monday March 1.

Public Tours are at 9 am & 1 pm, Monday through Friday.  Free of
charge.  First come, first serve.  No reservations allowed for Public
Tours.

Groups larger than 10 are not allowed on the Public Tour.  Group Tours
are conducted separately from the Public Tours and reservations for
Group Tours are required.  For group tour reservations call
206-266-9974 between 8:30 and 10:30 am, Monday through Friday.

Boeing Tour Center lobby and gift shop are open 8:30 - 4 pm Monday
through Friday.

For recorded information, call 206-342-4801 (in the White Pages as
BOEING COMPANY THE--EVERETT PUBLIC TOURS).

   >The "Boeing Tour" is a tour of the  747 production plant in Everett, about
   >a 40 minutes north of Downtown Seattle.
   >
   >I have not taken the tour myself...Friends who have taken the
   >tour give it high marks.

	   The tour starts in the visitor center with a film/video
	   presentation and a pep talk from the tour guide.  You then
	   go by bus to the 747/767 final assembly plant, allegedly
	   the largest building in the world in total interior volume.

and soon to include 777 production.

	   You enter the building through a 1-mile long tunnel, about
	   half way to the elevator.  You take the elevator to the
	   visitors observation platform, pretty much in the center of
	   everything, and above it all.

1/3 of a mile walk.  21 very steep stairs.

	   And you just stand there and look.  About a 1/2 hour later
	   you go back.  That's it.

It is a kinda lame tour, but then I get to go down on the floor and
poke my head in places and talk to folks.  :-)

	   Somehow I expected more, and certainly a closer, more detailed,
	   look at the assembly.  I'd suggest bringing binoculars.  I took
	   a camera, but the pics don't do justice to the immense size of
	   the facility.

No photographic equipment at all is allowed on Boeing property.
That's a new rule (within the last year or so).  It used to be that
only video cameras weren't allowed.  Now all types of photographic
equipment are verbotten.

It is amazing to realize that 8 747s take up less than a third of the
whole building (footprint-wise).  Each of the 4 doors (maybe more now
that the 777 extension is close to be completed) is the size of a
football field.  That's big!!

	   WARNING--You may have to get there very early, particularly during
	   busy tourist times, and sign up for a tour later in the day.  ALSO,
	   there is a minimum age limit, and they are serious about this.  Some
	   families with small kids were turned away.  Check on this before
	   going.

No children under 10, because of insurance reasons.

Stephen
--
Stephen L Nicoud  <stephen.nicoud@Boeing.Com>  bcstec!bcsaic!stephen.nicoud
Boeing Computer Services Research and Technology, Bellevue, Washington  USA