Re: A Question about Tours of the Boeing plant

From:         lmiller@aero.org (Lawrence H. Miller)
Date:         23 Feb 93 12:04:37 PST

In article <airliners.1993.193@ohare.Chicago.COM> jfc@macsch.com (Jack Castro) writes:
>In article <airliners.1993.165@ohare.Chicago.COM>, brtrees@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
>|> I'm going to be in Seattle in March and will have a Saturday free.
>|> I was wondering, does the huge Boeing plant give tours to the general
>|> public?
>
>The "Boeing Tour" is a tour of the  747 production plant in Everett, about
>a 40 minutes north of Downtown Seattle.
>
>I have not taken the tour myself...Friends who have taken the
>tour give it high marks.

	The tour starts in the visitor center with a film/video
	presentation and a pep talk from the tour guide.  You then
	go by bus to the 747/767 final assembly plant, allegedly
	the largest building in the world in total interior volume.

	You enter the building through a 1-mile long tunnel, about
	half way to the elevator.  You take the elevator to the
	visitors observation platform, pretty much in the center of
	everything, and above it all.

	And you just stand there and look.  About a 1/2 hour later
	you go back.  That's it.

	Somehow I expected more, and certainly a closer, more detailed,
	look at the assembly.  I'd suggest bringing binoculars.  I took
	a camera, but the pics don't do justice to the immense size of
	the facility.

	WARNING--You may have to get there very early, particularly during
	busy tourist times, and sign up for a tour later in the day.  ALSO,
	there is a minimum age limit, and they are serious about this.  Some
	families with small kids were turned away.  Check on this before
	going.
--
Larry Miller		The Aerospace Corporation
lmiller@aero.org	PO Box 92957