Please answer - 757/767 Hydraulic Question

From:         bwood@nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov (William Wood)
Date:         15 Feb 93 16:05:39 PST

   I would appreciate anyone who can elaborate on something I
heard several years ago.  The topic came-up in a conversation
discussed on what would happen should a certain engine fail
during flight on a 757.  The person to which I was speaking,
informed me that "it would be no terrible problem for a 757
to suddenly loose an engine whilst in flight!"

   Amazing to me as this sounded, I had to be the one to pose
the question of 'why this wouldn't be a problem?'  I was in-
formed by the other party that the 757 has a "pseudo-engine"
that is 'tucked-under' the wings, similar to the manner in
which the landing gear is (retracted position)."  "When an
engine fails during flight, this (pseudo-engine) is suddenly
released, and falls into a downward locked/fixed position,
similar to that of one of the other (real) engines."  He
stated that its proported purpose is to assume the intake
of forced wind through it's intake channels, which then
force the turning of its 'turbo-prop' which acts-out as
a wind-propelled electric generator (to allow steerage
of the plane having restored the power to the hydraulic
systems of the plane).

    Could this be a truth?  I would appreciate your con-
sideration towards addressing this question.  Also, if
it is a truth, would this also be the case in the design
of the 767 as well??

Thanks,

Bill