Re: DC-10 crash statistic

From:         lmiller@aero.org (Lawrence H. Miller)
Date:         12 Feb 93 11:12:07 PST

In article <airliners.1993.161@ohare.Chicago.COM> almeierh@cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Axel Meierhoefer) writes:

>I recently discovered the following DC-10 crash statistic:
>
>date      regist. airline               c/n    model     location
>
>12.Nov.75 N1032F  ONA              ***  46826  DC-10-30  near Istanbul
> 2.Jan.76 N1031F  ONA              ***  46825  DC-10-30  New York/JFK
> 1.Mar.78 N68045  Continental        *  46904  DC-10-10  Los Angeles
>31.Oct.79 N903WA  Western            *  46929  DC-10-10  Mexico City
>23.Jan.82 N113WA  World Airways      *  47821  DC-10-30  Boston
>10.Aug.86 N184AT  American Trans Air *  46751  DC-10-40  Chicago O'Hare
>
>How could this have happened? Does anybody know the reasons for these (ONA)
>crashes or any other information about them?
>
>I am also interested in the reasons of the Continental, Western,
>World and American Trans Air crashes.

	Normally I would refer directly to the NTSB reports on these
	crashes, but they're packed away as I await moving my office.
	So this discussion is from memory:

	My recollection is that ONA at JFK involved a rejected takeoff.  All
	passengers exited safely with no injuries.  This was ascribed to the
	fact that the passengers were all ONA employees, and were trained in
	evacuation skills.  ONA shortly thereafter ceased operations.  They
	were a charter outfit, Overseas National Airlines.  My wife once flew
	them from LA to England.  They were quite reasonable for a charter operation.

	Continental blew a tire during a wet takeoff at LAX.  Because of limited
	braking, and a wet runway, the aircraft overran the departure end of the
	runway, then sunk down into soft asphalt.  A fire erupted and one or two
	passengers were killed.  This may have been due to the fact that a large
	percentage of the passengers were elderly retirees, off to Hawaii.  [I
	also have a recollection that this was to be the pilot's final flight
	before retirement.  What a way to go.]  There was an interesting accounting
	footnote on this aircraft.  In Continental's annual report, they had an
	item under "extraordinary gains: conversion of aircraft."  Polite way of
	saying "we made out like bandits on the insurance."

	Can't help on the World crash, except to recall that the plane ended off
	the end of the runway in icy water, and that boats were used to rescue
	some passengers.

	Let's see, Western airlines in Mexico City.  I believe it was landing in
	foggy conditions, on a closed runway.  Struck airport construction vehicles,
	destroying the aircraft.

	ATA--sorry, no recollection on that one.

--
Larry Miller		The Aerospace Corporation
lmiller@aero.org	PO Box 92957