Re: DC-10 crash statistic

From:         anderson@williams.edu ()
Date:         12 Feb 93 11:12:07 PST

In article <airliners.1993.162@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
|>Axel Meierhoefer writes:
|>>I am also interested in the reasons of the Continental, Western,
|>>World and American Trans Air crashes.
|>
|>I know nothing of the American Trans Air crash; never even heard of
|>it.  I find this rather surprising since, as my mailing address might
|>suggest Chicago, including it's airport, is near and dear to my heart.

I'm familiar with an ATA incident at O'Hare, but I thought it was an L1011
At that point I thought ATA was only flying L1011's and 727's (thye have '57's
running now too...)  Back to the issue at hand, there was an ATA wide-body
that burned at the current International Arrival "ramp."  I vividly remember
pictures in the Tribune from above of the hulk of the aircraft sitting there
with the roof burned off.  Like I said, I thought it was an L10.  But, as usual,
I could be wrong!  BTW, I never did hear of any cause for the fire.  Anyone out
there know any more?  Alos, any one care to speculate how you physically dispose
of a burned out widebody that's still standing on it's gear?

Jim

Jim Anderson						Williams College
Systems Manager						Center for Computing
janderson@williams.edu (Internet)			Jesup Hall
janderson@williams.bitnet				Williamstown, MA 01267
							413-597-2082