Re: 767/restrictions/Atlantic Ocean

From:         hoyme@src.honeywell.com (Ken Hoyme)
Date:         11 Feb 93 22:59:46 PST

In article <airliners.1993.163@ohare.Chicago.COM> raveling@Unify.com (Paul Raveling) writes:

> 	The sudden loss of power was fatal problem because they were
> 	departing into IMC at night.  This accident prompted immediate
> 	attention to MELs, plus some scrutiny of load sensitivity.
> 	I presume the same issues have had even more intense examination
> 	for FBW aircraft, and would guess that they have reasonably
> 	sophisticated controls for automatic load shedding.  Perhaps
> 	someone who really knows could comment on this.

Folks interested in this topic might find the following article
interesting:

"Design of the Boeing 777 Electric System"
Luiz Andrade (Sunstrand) and Carl Tenning (Boeing)
IEEE AES Magazine, July 1992  pp4-11
(Based on a presentation at NAECON '92)

The article talks about load shedding both during engine-out conditions
as well as during engine power-up.  The biggest user of power on the 777
will be the galleys.  (140KVA out of about 240KVA).  First choice for
shedding...

Ken Hoyme                    Honeywell Systems and Research Center
(612)951-7354                3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
Internet: hoyme@src.honeywell.com