TCAS on airliners (was: Re: 767/restrictions/Atlantic Ocean)

From:         gary@maestro.mitre.org (Gary Bisaga)
Date:         11 Feb 93 01:38:14 PST

In article <airliners.1993.157@ohare.Chicago.COM>, adf@crosfield.co.uk (alex france) writes:
|> Is TCAS widespread on commercial aircraft? I hadn't seen one before,
|> and this was on old 747 with main instruments all mechanical, so BA
|> would seem to have a policy of adding them into existing fleet. Anyone
|> know of this being done elsewhere?
Well, in the U.S. anyway you'll need full equippage of all A/C over 30 seats
by the end of '93.  Typically there are three kinds of TCAS displays in use:
1) The weather radar display, where the TCAS is overlaid on the radar
   (obviously).  This kind has some problems in that the minimum range for
   the radar display is greater than the max range you might want with your
   TCAS.
2) The so-called "TIVSI/RIVSI", or "Traffic-advisory/Resolution-advisory
   Instantaneous Vertical Speed Indicator", which is a CRT-based IVSI with
   (a) traffic info overlaid on the dial part and (b) eyebrow lights around
   the edge telling the pilot things like "Climb at least 2000 feet/min".
3) Integrated displays, where the TCAS info is displayed on the EHSI, which
   is done in the glass cockpits.  This is obviously the optimal solution if
   you have the other hardware to support it.

Only #3 is dependent on having CRT-based instrumentation.  In fact, in some
cases the non-CRT-based airplanes are actually being equipped faster, since
they require only minimal integration with the other systems of the
aircraft.

--
Gary Bisaga (gbisaga@mitre.org)