Re: Wing "flaps" that raise on landing

From:         watson@win.tue.nl (Bruce W. Watson)
Date:         10 Feb 93 03:11:22 PST

In article <airliners.1993.120@ohare.Chicago.COM> rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) writes:

>Flaps are *not* normally raised during the landing roll.  It takes over
>20 seconds to go from Flaps 15 to flaps-up in a 727: by then, it's all over.
>It is a valid contention that IF the flaps were raised, it could increase
>braking effectiveness, but it isn't necessary--the ground spoilers do it all
>for you.  Additional considerations are the sudden demand on the hydraulic
>system, plus the additional workload in the cockpit--landings are very much
>"heads up" procedures, and workload has to be minimized.
>
>---
>Robert Dorsett
>rdd@cactus.org
>...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd

But...
   I have flown aircraft (eg. DH Buffalo) in which the standard procedure was:
1. max flaps during approach
2. after TD, retract flaps to the go around position
   (done by the pilot-not-flying)
3. if landing okay, throttles to max. reverse pitch.
4. else, throttles to max. for the go around.

At any rate, flaps were always retracted to the go around position. On most
real HEAVYs this would all be done for you: on the 747-400, go around is
okay (runway length permitting) anytime before going to reverse thrust; I
suspect that in this case, double clicking the -400's go around throttle
buttons on the ground will also retract spoilers, flaps to 20, and rotate
for you as well as flying the MAP.

Sincerely,
Bruce.

Bruce Watson                     || favourite oxymoron: "-- rather, it simply
watson@win.tue.nl                ||   complicates our implementation." from
watson@stack.urc.tue.nl          || C++ Primer, 2nd ed. (p.501) by S. Lippman