Re: 767/restrictions/Atlantic Ocean

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         06 Feb 93 14:18:10 PST
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <1993Feb5.215714.7734@cs.ruu.nl> jaap@cs.ruu.nl (Jaap Romers) writes:
>Three weeks ago i travelled from Amsterdam, Holland
>to Tampa, Florida. The aircraft was a Boeing 767 of Martinair.
>The flight had a 3 hour delay, due to a tecnical problem.
>The APU was not working 100 % and they needed a jetstarter
>to startup the engines. Because of this tecnical problem,
>the captain explained on the PA, the flight-route was changed
>to a more restricted route. On crossing the Atlantic, they had
>to fly a route with an airport on max. 1 hour flying-distance,
>instead of 2 hours.
>
>Why are these restrictions for equipment, such as the APU, that is
>only needed, when the aircraft is on the ground.

If you have a significant electrical failure (two generators is not uncommon)
the APU is needed for in-flight power.  Battery power only lasts up to
25 minutes or so for critical services--lighting and a radio bus.  You
need constant AC power to run your CRT's so you can at least find a place
to divert to.  Oceanic travel can get real lonely if none of your nav
instrumentation works.

>And, another question, there were only 2 pilots on board on
>a non-stop flight of 9.5 hours. I thought that on these long-distance
>flights there is also a cruise-pilot. Is it because this flight
>was a charter ?

9.5 hours isn't long.  "Long" doesn't start until about 14 hours duty time,
depending on country and labor laws  US is among the most regressive.

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org
...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd