Re: Aha! The three-man 767 rears its ugly head...

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         06 Jan 93 04:26:38 PST
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <airliners.1993.12@ohare.Chicago.COM> ckd@eff.org (Christopher Davis) writes:
>The aforementioned first 767 was last seen (by me anyway :) at Boeing
>Field, looking kinda lonely (it's been sitting there a fairly long time).

I'm surprised it's been that long -- I thought it had been involved
with the AOA development fairly recently.

>Unfortunately I don't have anywhere near enough influence to get a look at
>the cockpit layout...

Hmmm ... anyone else?

>Just for kicks, I looked it up in JP; here's the pertinent info.

>N767BA, Boeing 767-200 (that's right, 00, a reserved customer code) ...

I thought that code interesting as well.  The info I have says that 20
is supposed to be the code for Boeing itself, including prototypes.

>Other notes on the 757/767: the 757 prototype, N757A, was sitting nearby

It's supposed to become the flying testbed for the 777's fly-by-wire,
er, fly-by-light system quite soon now.  Were there any signs of
activity?

>the AWACS version of the 767 is looking to be launched by Japan soon

I wonder if 767 #1 will be any sort of prototype for this program?

>UPS has launched the 767 cargo variant.

I wonder how different it will be?  The 757-200 PF (Package Freight),
also for UPS, is notable in being the highest MGTOW 757 (250,000 lbs.
vs. 220,000 to 240,000 for the passenger variants) with correspondingly
higher thrust engines.  And FedEx's launch of the A300-600 cargo
variant seemed to generate a surprising amount of attention ...

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls