Re: Wing "flaps" that raise on landing

From: (Luca De Alfaro)
Organization: CS Department, Stanford University, California, USA
Date:         01 Feb 93 22:30:59 PST
References:   1 2
Followups:    1 2
Next article
View raw article
  or MIME structure (Robert Dorsett) writes:

>Thrust reversers are gravy: they deflect engine exhaust at some forward angle,
>thus applying "reverse thrust."  There are two types of thrust reversers:
>cascade and clamshell.  The type used depends on the geometry of the engine 
>and its nacelle: smaller engines use clamshells; large fans tend to prefer 
>cascade reversers.  There are exceptions in both directions.

How do cascade thrust reversers work?