Re: Crew Negligence?

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         30 Jan 93 22:42:49 PST

In article <airliners.1993.104@ohare.Chicago.COM> ak336@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (John Dill) writes:

> In relating my story about the incident over Detroit I perhaps gave the
>wrong (editorial) impression of my feelings about the crew's actions.
> I too agree that any intentional act by a flight crew that places the
>passsengers in harm's way should not be condoned. My comment about the
>crew "saving the day" had more to do with the quick thinking they exhibited
>while in a supersonic dive from 41,000' in a Boeing 727.
> I also wish to make clear that erasing flight data recorder or cockpit
>voice recorder is illegal and I don't condone either action.

Not necessarily.  Once the plane is parked at the gate, and the parking
brake set, the captain is entitled - legally - to erase the cockpit voice
recorder.  The usual 5 channel flight data recorder installed on the trusty
'27 won't have any incriminating data on it, and I don't believe the
captain has the ability to erase it.  Besides, they used to only record
about the last thirty minutes anyway.  If it took more than thirty minutes
from initiation of the incident to parking, the data recorder has already
overwritten what little data it stored anyway.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com