BOEING, EUROPEANS BEGIN LARGE AIRPLANE STUDY

From:         Stephen L Nicoud <stephen.nicoud@boeing.com>
Date:         27 Jan 93 23:06:50 PST

  1-27-93

  BOEING, EUROPEANS BEGIN LARGE AIRPLANE STUDY

  Boeing has signed an agreement with four European aerospace
  companies to study the feasibility of developing a Very Large
  Commercial Transport airplane capable of seating between 550 and 800
  passengers.

  Participating in the one-year study are Germany's Deutsche
  Aerospace, France's Aerospatiale, British Aerospace and CASA of
  Spain.

  The study will be headed jointly by John Hayhurst, Boeing Commercial
  Airplane Group vice president for Large Airplane Development, and
  Jrgen Thomas, who is responsible for research and development at
  Deutsche Aerospace.

  "At this stage, we have only agreed to conduct preliminary studies.
  We haven't agreed to a joint development program," Hayhurst added.
  "But we realize that the potential market for a Very Large
  Commercial Transport is limited.  The only way Boeing can be
  involved in developing an airplane of this size is by working with
  partners.  By entering into some sort of joint venture, we can
  expand the market for our products and create new job opportunities
  for Boeing employees."

  Although the four companies are partners in the Airbus consortium,
  Airbus itself is not participating in the study.  Instead, Boeing is
  dealing directly with companies that have the resources necessary to
  conduct this effort.

  "We'll manage this study much like the supersonic transport studies
  we're currently conducting with many of these same European
  companies," Hayhurst said.  "While we will meet several times during
  the year, we will limit the amount of information -- and the kind of
  information -- that we share."