Re: Boeing 747-300

From:         Helen Trillian Rose <hrose@eff.org>
Date:         Wed, 18 Nov 1992 17:26:36 -0500

Karl> == Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.Chicago.COM>

[....]

 Karl>     Mfr.      Type      MGTOW    seating  service
 Karl>     Boeing    747-400   870,000    430     1989
 Karl>     MacDAC    MD-11     618,000    250     1991
 Karl>     Airbus    A-340     559,000    230     1993
 Karl>     Boeing    777       515,000   ~220     1995

I hadn't thought the B777 was going to be in between the 757 (~200) and
767 (~250) passengers. I thought it was going to fill the niche between
the 767 and the 747 -- about the size of the old 747SP in number of
seats. The 777 is a widebody as wide as the 747's (3-4-3 seating in
economy) and was meant to fill the market left wide open by the L-1011
and DC-10 trijets (one big reason why it has optional folding wingtips:
to fit into a DC-10 gate).

 Karl> In the 600+ passenger market, Boeing has talked about both
 Karl> further stretches of the 747 and an entirely new aircraft,
 Karl> sometimes using the N650 moniker.  McDonnell-Douglas has most
 Karl> recently talked about the MD-12 -- once yet another stretch of
 Karl> the MD-11 -- as a new and much larger aircraft, also in the 600+
 Karl> passenger category.

McDonnell Douglas has put a hold on the MD-12 for lack of financing
(lets face it, would *you* get into bed with a company that produced the
DC-10?).

 Karl> Airbus has said that if there is demand and/or if Boeing builds
 Karl> such an aircraft, Airbus will build one too.  The name A600 or
 Karl> maybe A2000 seems vaguely familiar though I can't locate any
 Karl> references.

Only Airbus would create a plane just to compete with Boeing. Just
imagine, Europe, your tax money is going to support the egos of a bunch
of political types. And inciting fear in any airliner fan. What a
worthwhile task.

--Helen
--
Helen Trillian Rose                     <hrose@eff.org, hrose@kei.com>