Re: hydraulic problems with DC-10's??

From:         weiss@turing.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss)
Date:         03 Dec 92 00:40:16 PST

In article <airliners.1992.50@ohare.Chicago.COM> drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) writes:
>In article <airliners.1992.30@ohare.Chicago.COM> weiss@curtiss.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss) writes:
>>I have a hard time believing that an intact hydraulic system would have
>>prevented AA191 from crashing.  Let's face it, a wing-mounted engine falling
>>off produces such a rediculous unbalance that even full aileron wouldn't be
>>able to counter it.
>Not true.  An engine departing the airplane is a planned for event, in
>terms of stability and control.  An aileron would have no problem
>countering just the imbalance of thrust (and it would actually be mostly
>rudder), in fact, without the added drag of a windmilling engine, the
>problem is a bit simplified.

After the third post with this answer, I figure it's time to clarify my
statement.  I am referring to the unbalance of WEIGHT, not THRUST.  Nonetheless
I suppose we should go on...

>Flight AA 191 lost the slats on the left hand
>wing (if memory serves) because of Douglas' failure to include mechanical
>lockouts on the slat actuators.  They were not required to certify the
>airplane.

Which doesn't disprove my theory.  As it is, though, the loss of the slats
(which, according to all my aero classes, only lowers the stall speed but does
NOT increase the coefficient of lift!) was enough to stall the wing, more than
"countering" the loss of weight on the wing.
--
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -