Re: Boeing 747-300

From:         ashabana@agsm.ucla.edu (Ahmed Shabana)
Date:         03 Dec 92 00:40:06 PST

Terry ( drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com) writes:

>It isn't just bragging rights.  Prestige has a market value.  There are
>several airlines who are not out to make a profit.  The national airlines
>of some oil rich countries for example, are not expected to make buck,
>rather to 'carry the flag'.  Thai, as another example bought 747s some
>years ago largely because of prestige.  Therefore, you have some airlines
>who fly the <superlative of your choice> airplane in the world to make a
>political statement.

While I agree with you that some airlines buy planes for prestige ( I
think the cake goes to Iran Air during the Shah days when they had several
Concordes on order), Thai is a world class airline that is profit
oriented. They have a very close relationship with KLM and are one of
the most successfull airlines in the fast growing Asian market.
Moreover they have at least 9  747's in their fleet (  6 -200, 3 -400) and an
order for 5 more -400. Such commitement to an aircraft type stems from simple
economics and not prestige.

Ahmed

Ahmed A. Shabana	         |" Bill, now you can get rid of THAT watch"
Anderson Graduate School of Mgmt.| Omega watches commercial aired on
U.C.L.A.                         | Election day referring to Clinton's Timex