Re: 747SP

From:         ncole@nyx.cs.du.edu (Noah Cole)
Date:         02 Dec 92 13:18:58 PST

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>In article <airliners.1992.61@ohare.Chicago.COM> ncole@nyx.cs.du.edu (Noah Cole) writes:
>>How many airlines use 747SP's today? I have a poster from Popular Mechanics
>>that was around the arrival of the 747-400 with a drawing of a United
>>747SP and it said that the 747SP set a record flying from Payne Field,
>>Washington to South Africa.  Was that SAA? Who flies the 747SP Today
>>and on what routes?
(Info on ownership of 747SP deleted- it was very interesting though. Thanks)

>Oh yes, it was a South African 747SP delivery that held a record for
>longest flight (time or distance or both) for a jetliner or some such.
>That may still stand but I wouldn't be too surprised if a 747-400 had
>subsequently established a new record.

I thin k that the record was set by a Qantas 747-400 from LHR to SYD in the
summer of 1989 with the poassengers being the British Cricket Team and the
only article in the cargo was a cricket ball.

-Noah Cole
--
Noah Cole		"Outside is America,		     NCOLE@MACALSTR.EDU
Macalester College	and also the car park"	            ncole@nyx.cs.du.edu