Re: pair (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

From:         raveling@Unify.com (Paul Raveling)
Date:         01 Dec 92 00:13:25 PST

In article <airliners.1992.40@ohare.Chicago.COM>, weiss@wright.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss) writes:

> In article <airliners.1992.26@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
> >In article <airliners.1992.23@ohare.Chicago.COM> weiss@mott.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss) writes:
> >>However, Boeing has a history of being the best aircraft in the
> >>world in terms of maintenance; Airbus apparently makes planes that are almost
> >>as difficult to repair and inspect as McDonnell-Douglas.

> >I have not previously encountered negative comments regarding
> >McDonnell-Douglas products in this context, however, and in fact have
> >heard that the DC-10 is rather well-liked because it's somewhat like
> >a big Chevy V-8 -- solid, and easy to fix when it breaks.  (Problems
> >with the design of the hydraulics notwithstanding.)

	My dad always said that DC-10's were much easier to maintain
	than the Boeings that he also worked on at Western Airlines.
	My impression from him was that the DC-10's greatest advantage
	for maintenance was better access to components or areas needing
	maintenance.  To put it another way, the hell-hole count was
	much lower on the DC-10.  He also cited a lot of things
	that were simply more durable on the DC-10.  This is basically
	an echo of your report about being solid and easy to fix.

	  Background:  My dad worked in Western's LAX shop until he
	  retired about the time Western merged into Delta.  The Boeings
	  in question were 707's, 720's, 727's, and 737's.  Farther back
	  (1950's) he also worked for Boeing's Renton plant when they
	  were first manufacturing 707's and KC-135's.  He still did
	  occasional minor consulting jobs for Boeing until retirement,
	  typically to update quick-reference maintenance manuals.
	  He also had contacts at United's LAX shop who passed on
	  info about 747's & 767's.

Paul Raveling
Raveling@Unify.com