Re: Emergency Oxygen Masks

From:         kawai@Csli.Stanford.EDU (goh kawai - n6uok)
Date:         Wed, 25 Nov 1992 00:40:45 GMT

Gary Jacobs (gjacobs@qualcomm.com) comments:

  | I'm curious what the test criteria [of oxygen masks] are and how often
  | is it done?  I'd also like to know what the failure rate is?

I was on a flight the other day (B-747) when an oxygen mask dropped by
accident in the business class cabin.  I was horrified to see that the
plastic tubing that connects the mask to the oxygen supply was
brownish-colored due to age.  I have an aquarium at home, and I know how
long it takes for air-tubing to turn brown.  While it is quite conceivable
that they use a higher grade of tubing in aircraft, that is not awfully
reassuring, because low-grade or high-grade, old tubing is old tubing.  I
shudder to think what condition the rest of the system is in.

-goh-

----------------- Speech Research Program, SRI, Menlo Park, CA 94025-3493 USA
--- Goh Kawai --- work:(415)859-2231   fax:(415)859-5984   home:(415)323-7214
----------------- internet: kawai@speech.sri.com      radio: n6uok and jk1zyp