Re: hydraulic problems with DC-10's??

From:         bentson@CS.ColoState.EDU (Randolph Bentson)
Date:         Wed, 25 Nov 1992 04:54:00 GMT

weiss@curtiss.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss) writes:

>I have a hard time believing that an intact hydraulic system would have
>prevented AA191 from crashing.  Let's face it, a wing-mounted engine falling
>off produces such a rediculous unbalance that even full aileron wouldn't be
>able to counter it.

The problem was that when the hydraulics failed,  leading edge
slat retracted on one side and that wing stalled.  No indication
was given in the cockpit so the flight crew didn't use the
appropriate recovery mechanism.

Ref: "The DC-10 Case", John H. Feilder & Douglas Birsch, eds.

--
    Randolph Bentson                 Colorado State University
    bentson@CS.ColoState.Edu         Computer Science Department