Re: Tire burn-out during landings

From:         barnett@convex.com (Paul Barnett)
Date:         30 Dec 92 11:20:04 PST

In <airliners.1992.200@ohare.Chicago.COM> yarvin-norman@CS.YALE.EDU (Norman Yarvin) writes:

>In any case, the practicality of preventing tires from disintegrating
>depends on how fast tires presently disintegrate.  How much matter really is
>there in that cloud of smoke?  Perhaps a gram per cubic meter of smoke?  And
>how much tire is left on the runway?  Do they have to go out and scrape it
>off now and then?  (I imagine not.)  Seems to me the loss of tire material
>is negligible also.  Compared, that is, with the other costs of running the
>airplane.

Actually, yes, they do go out and "scrape" it off now and then.
One popular method is very high pressure water jets.

Having said that, I will comment that the most convincing argument I
have heard so far is that the additional weight added by any spin-up
system would negate any reduction in tire wear.
--
Paul Barnett
MPP OS Development     (214)-497-4846