Re: Safety and design rankings (was Re: Flight controls)

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         29 Dec 92 23:02:31 PST

In article <airliners.1992.205@ohare.Chicago.COM> drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) writes:

>I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that the folding wingtip
>option is still being studied, primarily by the New Large Airplane
>Division.  They apparently don't think they can get away with a 'damn the
>infrastructure' attitude.  :-)

It's also still being offered on the 777, as far as I know.  My
understanding was the part of United's reason for not ordering the
option was the weight penalty -- 3,900 lbs., or 2,000 for just the
hinges and stuff without the actuation mechanism, which allows easy
addition later on.  United preferred the weight savings and even at
that went with a higher MGTOW version in order to operate the 777
on Chicago to Hawaii routes, which are right at the range limits of
the A-market 777.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls