Re: Tire burn-out during landings

From:         drchambe@tekig5.pen.tek.com (Dennis Chamberlin)
Date:         29 Dec 92 12:39:16 PST

In article <airliners.1992.192@royko.Chicago.COM> inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson) writes:

>Does anyone have any estimates about the costs using the current "cloud of
>smoke" and friction method of landing? How much does one of those tires
>cost?

I recall an old issue of AWST that described the certification flight test
program for the first 747. The flight test budget included a 3 million $
line item for "Wheels, tires, and brakes".

At least one of these tests was known to be destructive. The worst-case
demonstration of a takeoff abort would seem to thoroughly cook all of the
tires and brakes. I don't know if any of the wheels were savable.