Re: Aha! The three-man 767 rears its ugly head...

From:         Hayes_Press@qmgate.larc.nasa.gov (Hayes N. Press)
Date:         26 Dec 92 00:01:47 CST

>I knew I wasn't going mad...  In a recent post, I commented on a three-man
>767.  Karl hadn't heard of it, which surprised me, so I went looking for
>it--and couldn't find it--which surprised me even more.  I finally ran across
>this blurb.

>I have no recollection of a picture of one of these critters, though.  Can
>someone clear up this matter?

I don't know if I can clear this up but I can assure you that you are not
going mad, unless madness is common in aerospace professionals.

The original design for the 767 was indeed for a 3 person-crew (even though
the anthropometrics were probably 3 man-crew biased).  There was an extensive
article done in Harvard Business Review (sorry I don't recall the year but it
is pre-1990) on the design/production aspects.  The article dealt with the
management approaches used to determine whether the production line of the
first 30 or so, 767 should be stopped and retrofited "in-position" or whether
the line should be allowed to continue with the first ~30 being 3 person-crew
and the ~31st and then on being the two person variety.  In summary, the
decision was to build the first ~30 as 3 person-crew and then if (when) they
got certification of a two person configuration they would tear-out the third
station and make the other necessary changes needed by use of "RAMS" teams.
These teams would then have only one learning curve on the modifications
needed, rather than ~30 since the aircraft on the line would all be at
different stages of production.

There was even one airline (which I don't recall either, but it may have been
UAL or someone in the South Pacific) that accepted their aircraft in the
three person configuration, whether that configuration has since been changed
or not I'm also not so sure.

The extra flight station being removed from the original design may also
explain the roominess of the 767 cockpit.  It is by far the largest I have
been in with more free space and comfort for the jumpseat passenger.

Speaking only for myself.

Hayes N. Press
e-mail  address:   Hayes_Press@qmgate.larc.nasa.gov
phone (804) 864-2715    fax (804) 864-7793
Good old Postal Service: Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Co.
                                      144 Research Drive  MS 156A
                                      Hampton, Virginia  23666