Aha! The three-man 767 rears its ugly head...

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         20 Dec 92 16:08:08 CST
Followups:    1 2 3 4

I knew I wasn't going mad...  In a recent post, I commented on a three-man
767.  Karl hadn't heard of it, which surprised me, so I went looking for
it--and couldn't find it--which surprised me even more.  I finally ran across
this blurb.

I have no recollection of a picture of one of these critters, though.  Can
someone clear up this matter?

FI, 3/20/82, p. 685:

"So far, most of the "live" flight-test experience has been with a three-
pilot-configured flightdeck on the first four 767s.  [...]  All 757s, and
the fifth and many subsequent 767s will have a two-pilot-configured cockpit.
In the two-man flightdeck, the early 767's conventional bank of engine
instruments on the center panel is replaced by the two CRT screens.  These are
the display element of the engine-indicating/crew-alerting system (EICAS),
which replaces normal engine instruments and continually scans the aircraft
systems for abnormalities, relaying any findings."

I interpret that as meaning the three-man ships had electromechanical in-
struments, which means there had to be a real, live, flight engineer.

I am certain three of the four were retrofitted to two-man configuration,
but am almost certain the first one lingers on, somewhere.  Memory suggests
it's Boeing's 767 testbed.  The maddening thing is, I read an article within
the last two or three years, which went into all this in great detail, but
I can't remember where it was published...  This article seemed to indicate
that the customer (UAL, I THINK) which initially wanted three-man ships saw
the two-man configuration, fell in love with it, and abandoned all plans for
three-man operation.

R.