Tire burn-out during landings

From:         todamhyp@unlv.edu (Brian M. Huey)
Date:         20 Dec 92 16:08:05 CST

I realize this a relatively basic question (I think) nevertheless:

	I am neither a pilot nor an airliner engineer. However,
everytime I watch a airliner land, a cloud of smoke is produced when
the wheels come in contact from the ground due to friction. Couldn't
this cloud and the effect of friction be lessened by inducing a
angular velocity upon the wheels to match the airliners speed with
respect to the runway?

--
DISCLAIMER: I can neither confirm nor deny any opinions
expressed in this article directly reflect my own personal or