Re: Safety and design rankings (was Re: Flight controls)

From:         palmer@icat.larc.nasa.gov (Michael T. Palmer)
Date:         17 Dec 92 13:27:35 PST

Then, somebody else wrote:

>Hmm.  I have some vague recollection of a three-man 737, but I think I'm
>thinking of that 767.  The 737 was designed for a two-man crew.  If three-
>man ships were produced, there are precious few of them.  I wasn't able
>to find any explicit references to three-man variants in my notes.

Well, NASA Langley operates Boeing B-737-100 Hull Number 1.  That's right,
Number 1.  I can tell you for a fact that it was designed for two pilots.

>Be careful to distinguish between a "flight engineer" and someone occupying
>the jump seat.  Quite a few airlines will run a "third man" due to either
>union pressures, or to provide training experience for new-hires; one often
>sees "transients" (instructors, check pilots, deadheading pilots) in
>the jump seat.

Correct.  However, putting a third pilot on that tiny, flip/fold-down seat
would require hazardous duty pay.  I have ridden in that seat for quite a
few hours, and it is NOT repeat NOT like riding in a 767 cockpit!!  Still,
there is no rear "engineer's station" for a third crewmember anyway.  And
the seat blocks access to the cabin door!  It was never designed for constant
use.

--
Michael T. Palmer, M/S 152, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA 23681
Voice: 804-864-2044,   FAX: 804-864-7793,   Email: m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov