Re: Safety and design rankings (was Re: Flight controls)

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         17 Dec 92 03:35:15 PST

In article <airliners.1992.173@ohare.Chicago.COM> you write:
>> was a replacement ... perhaps away from Smiths?  Having observed the
>> trials and tribulations of friends with MGs and their Smiths electrics
>> I'm not enthusiastic about a Smiths FMS!  :-)
>
>Me too!  But then, I *am* biased on this issue.  :-)  However, I do not
>believe that the part of Smiths that supports cars and the part that
>designs avionics has a whole lot to do with each other.  I suspect (but
>do not know for certain) that Boeing's choice of Smiths might be related
>to trying to get some competition in this area.

And if we're going to pick on Smiths for that, we should note that Delco
Electronics, which produced the INS used on just about every airliner produced
in the late 60's and 70's, was a subsidiary of General Motors. :-)  Same
logo as the car-stereo systems, too. :-)

But boy, is Smiths' 737 engine display tacky. :-)

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org
...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd