Re: hydraulic problems with DC-10's??

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         16 Dec 92 04:19:50 PST

In article <airliners.1992.106@ohare.Chicago.COM> weiss@ada.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss) writes:

  [Much aero-techie argument deleted]

>In any case, my point is that there would have been a severe weight unbalance
>between the wings, and I have doubts that it could have been countered by the
>ailerons.  The whole reason that there was a negative roll moment was that the
>left wing STALLED, not that it lost lift directly from the retracting slats.
>I'm still not convinced that even WITH the slats extended it could have been
>prevented.

As one gentleman pointed out earlier, there is a history of airplanes
losing engines and remaining perfectly controllable.  A 737-200 lost one, I
believe it was the #2, on takeoff just last week.  It impacted along the side
of the runway, the airplane turned around without further incident and
landed safely.  While certainly not as common as an airline misplacing your
luggage :-), engine departures do happen and the airplanes do tend to land
without further damage or excitement.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com