Economics of new vs. older planes

From:         John DiMarco <jdd@cdf.toronto.edu>
Date:         16 Dec 92 04:19:48 PST

I understand there's an airfield in Arizona where unused airliners are parked
for extended periods. I'm wondering, considering the economic doldrums
most airline companies seem to be in, why these planes are not put into
use in lieu of buying new ones?

The answer, I think, would depend on the difference in operating costs between
new and older planes. Could someone with a better understanding of these issues
shed some light on this? Solid numbers (eg. purchase prices of new vs. used
planes, fuel consumption differences, etc.) would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
--
John DiMarco                                              jdd@cdf.toronto.edu