Re: hydraulic problems with DC-10s??

From:         weiss@curtiss.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss)
Date:         12 Dec 92 00:06:28 PST

In article <airliners.1992.100@ohare.Chicago.COM> greg@octopus.dpsi.com (Gregory R. Travis) writes:
>This is quite muddled though, as other anti-lift devices (such as spoilers)
>will deploy at a given amount of aileron deflection.  In fact, and I don't
>have my DC-10 refs handy, I imagine that the ailerons on a -10 are locked
>in place when the flaps are up (not the case in the Chicago crash, I know)

Not true, at least in the case of the inboard ailerons.  I still can remember
back in 1984 flying a DC-10 from LAX to HON, and noting that when the inboard
ailerons deflected to a certain point, the spoilers came up, too.  I don't
remember about the outboards (at the time, the inboard ones were more
interesting to me).

>In any case, the ORIGINAL poster's position that the loss of an engine
>from a wing, considering the engine's moment and weight, would render the plane
>uncontrollable is not supported either by analysis or historic precedent.

And I stand (sit?) corrected on this issue.  It struck me as an awfully large
moment at first (and second, and third) glance, but I didn't have any actual
weight numbers to compare.  Now that I do, it makes perfect sense.
--
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -