Re: hydraulic problems with DC-10's??

From:         pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic)
Date:         10 Dec 92 16:07:11 PST

In a previous article, rdd@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) says:

>The slat retraction DID affect the wing: it then became both a control and
>aerodynamic problem.  Exercising established control practices in an
>unknown aerodynamic regime crashed the airplane (I'd love to know whether
>this went into Airbus's "pilot error" database :-)).  Had the slats remained
>down, the airplane would have survived the engine failure, even with the
>failure of the stall warning system.  Other airframe manufacturers have
>manual locking mechanisms for their slat jackscrews.  McDonnell Douglas
>relied on hydraulic pressure to hold it all together.
>
>Incidentally, this problem wasn't corrected: the SUX DC-10 also experienced
>extension of its slats after it lost all its hydraulics.

Does anyone know if the MD-11 has a proper locking mechanism for the slats?
I'm a layman when it comes to aircraft design, but the DC-10 really looks
like a substandard design that has killed a bunch of people due to cost
cutting short cuts.

--
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu          ///
LIVE TO PARTY, SKI TO DIE!!!           ///  /\