Re: hydraulic problems with DC-10s??

From:         gregory@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Greg Wright)
Date:         10 Dec 92 00:52:13 PST

In article <airliners.1992.100@ohare.Chicago.COM> greg@octopus.dpsi.com (Gregory R. Travis) writes:

>BTW, just to be pedantic:  The wings do not each contribute exactly
>50% of the total lift.  Remember that that fuselage itself contributes
>a SUBSTANTIAL amount of lift at cruise as do the horizontal stabilizer
>surfaces (in certain flight regimes!).

 This is not as substantial as one might think. While some lifting bodies
are very good at producing lift the typical commercial fuselage is not.
Because of it's inablility to be a very efficient producer of lift, ie.
it makes LOTS of drag in doing so, we try to keep the lift of the body
to a minimun. As far as the stab's go, at cruise they will be counter-
acting a nose-down or nose-up pitching moment depending on the CG and
gross weight at that particular time in the flight. Because, again, with
lift you get drag, the horiz. stab. is best kept at zero lift if possible.

--
 ________Greg Wright____________     "I struggle to be brief
|     gregory@halcyon.com       |
|____uunet!bcstec!gregory_______|               NOT A BOEING SPOKESPERSON.