Re: hydraulic problems with DC-10's??

From:         lhe@sics.se (Lars-Henrik Eriksson)
Date:         08 Dec 92 15:50:56 PST

In article <airliners.1992.92@ohare.Chicago.COM> drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com
(Terrell D. Drinkard) writes:
   In article <airliners.1992.85@ohare.Chicago.COM> weiss@turing.SEAS.UCLA.EDU
(Michael Weiss) writes:
   >Which doesn't disprove my theory.  As it is, though, the loss of the slats
   >(which, according to all my aero classes, only lowers the stall speed but
does
   >NOT increase the coefficient of lift!)

   You may wish to recheck your math.  It isn't possible to lower the stall
   speed without improving the coefficient of lift (assuming constant weight,
   air density, and wing area).

>From what I've learned, slats don't increase the coefficient of lift
*for a given angle of attack*, but they do increase the critical angle
of attack. That is, using slats you can get a higher coefficient of
lift by having a higher angle of attack than normally possible.

(So you are both right :-)

Of course, this means that when the slats retract, either nothing
happens to the lift at all (if the angle of attack is below the
no-slats critical angle of attack), or the wing stalls instantly.
----
Lars-Henrik Eriksson                     Internet: lhe@sics.se
Swedish Institute of Computer Science    Phone (intn'l): +46 8 752 15 09
Box 1263                                 Telefon (nat'l): 08 - 752 15 09
S-164 28  KISTA, SWEDEN                  Fax: +46 8 751 72 30