Re: A Question about Tours of the Boeing plant

From:         inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson)
Date:         01 Mar 93 11:29:29 PST

In article <airliners.1993.199@ohare.Chicago.COM> lmiller@aero.org (Lawrence H. Miller) writes:

>>The "Boeing Tour" is a tour of the  747 production plant in Everett, about
>>a 40 minutes north of Downtown Seattle.
>>
>>I have not taken the tour myself...Friends who have taken the
>>tour give it high marks.
>
>	The tour starts in the visitor center with a film/video
>	presentation and a pep talk from the tour guide.  You then
>	go by bus to the 747/767 final assembly plant, allegedly
>	the largest building in the world in total interior volume.

I lived within a mile and a half of the plant (Mukilteo) 9 years, and work
about the same distance. I have been on the tour just about every year since
1983, and it changes from time to time. They used to take you by the big
paint booths across Highway 526, and the last time I went, the time spent on
the balcony overlooking the production floor was accompanied by a running
commentary by the tour guide, spoken over a PA system. This added a lot. THe
idea of binoculars is a good one; I wish I had thought of that! In general I
give it high marks, too, and it is a standard part of my things to do list
for visitors from out of town, although it would not be by first choice if I
had only one day....

I'd recommend that you spend part of your Saturday at Boeing's "Museum
of Flight" at Boeing Field just south of downtown Seattle. Decide after that
if you want to take the time to go to Everett (about 1 hour each way).

At the Museum of Flight, you will get a chance to see the original
(restored) Red Barn where Bill Boeing first set up shop on the banks of the
Duwamish River and built his first plane, a float-plane!  They have a
replica of the Wright Brother's wind tunnel (!)  as well as some of the
original machine tools, lathes, jointers, and so on.

Inside an attached airy, glass-roofed, modern structure hang airplanes of
every vintage, with many many others parked below. They have an SR71 parked
in there, along with a Mustang that was under water in Lake Washington for
something like 13 years. There are jet fighters, old mail planes, just
wonderful stuff. I heartily recommend a visit to this place! You can see it
pretty much in a morning, and you really should take one of their walking
tours. Take the "long" tour - it is about 45 minutes, as against a 20-minute
teaser. The tour is filled with interesting information about how the museum
came to be, stories about how the airplanes came in, (the SR-71 was trucked
in on 5 separate semis), and all kinds of historical stuff. They tell about a
B-17 crew reunion that was held at the museum a few years back, and have a
collection of pictures of B-17 nose art.

I think the entracne fee is about $6.00 and worth every penny.

Do that. Bring your camera. There's also a terrific gift shop.

--

Two things are wanted by a true man, danger and play.
Therefore, he seeks woman as the most dangerous toy.  -Friedrich Nietzsche