Re: DC-10 crash statistic

From:         David R. Smith <dsmith@hplabsz.hpl.hp.com>
Date:         26 Feb 93 04:43:38 PST

In article <airliners.1993.162@ohare.Chicago.COM> you write:
>The Western crash was, I believe, the result of landing on the wrong
>runway, perhaps even at the wrong airport.  (If folks send in a fairly
>succinct  synopsis of this and the other incidents I'll collect them
>and post a summary article.)

I don't have documentation, but I remember this:  Mexico City airport had
two parallel runways, with an ILS approach to one.  The one with the ILS
was closed for maintenance on that foggy day, and the tower was instructing
pilots to follow the ILS down to runway-in-sight, then step over to the
open runway.  The pilot failed to step over, landed on the closed runway,
and collided with ground vehicles.  This accident was not the fault of the
DC-10.

--
David R. Smith, HP Labs |   "I like to get my hands dirty,
dsmith@hpl.hp.com       |   because it stimulates my mind."