1998 1st half order update

From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         10 Jul 1998 21:14:05 EDT

In the first six months, Airbus has received orders for a total of
287 planes:

A300/310                 0
A319/320/321           247
A330-2/300              11
A340-3/5/600            29
Total                  287

Boeing has received orders for a total of 282 planes:

B717                     5
B737-3/4/5/6/7/8/900   198
B747                     9
B757                     5
B767-300/400             8
B777-200/300            26
MD-11                    7
MD-80                   24
Total                  282

For details, please check

<http://www.airbus.com/market_orders.html> for Airbus's orders, and

<http://www.boeing.com/commercial/orders/index.html> for Boeing's orders.

Just a couple of quick comments:

Boeing barely matches Airbus in the first half.  If you take away the
non-7-series sales (i.e., ex-MD products including 717), Boeing trails
Airbus by 41 planes!

In 1994, Airbus sold four more planes than Boeing.  IMO, it wasn't a
very convincing one, because Airbus had more cancellations than Boeing
in that year.

Airbus sales have really picked up since the middle of last year.  Airbus
also seems to have a lot more orders on the horizon than Boeing.  Boeing
will need a spectacular second half to beat Airbus, but Boeing says it
will pay more attention to profit than market share.  Hence, it's likely
that Airbus will have a huge victory this year.  I think Boeing will be
very happy if BA's narrowbody order can be saved.

One thing still puzzles me a lot is the A319/320/321 production rate.
Boeing got a lot of bad press because there are hardly any B737
delievery slots left in the next two years.  However, the Airbus
narrowbody has a backlog similar to the B737's, and the production
rate of the A320 family will still be significantly less than that of
the B737 (18-19 vs. 21 currently, and ~22[?] vs. 27 in a not-to-distant
future).  Does it mean that there are a lot of long-term A320 orders?